Families looking for a way to wrap up the spring school vacation without breaking the bank should head off to Memorial Park in Kingaroy on Saturday, September 30.
A LifeFlight Family Fun Day will be offering a seven non-stop hours of inexpensive family entertainment between 9:00am and 4:00pm featuring pig races, celebrity dunkings, whip cracking and live QFES rescue displays.
Popular local performers Amber Goldsmith and MisFitz will be providing two-hour concerts, and Karla’s Carnival will be offering free face painting for children between 10:45am and 1:00pm.
There’ll also be food and drink stands dotted around the grounds, a free jumping castle and a raffle offering a Ricoh R8 digital camera and a stunning black leather and diamond jewellery set as top prizes.
CROW-FM will be broadcasting live from the grounds between 9:00am and noon, and QFES staff will be using the Jaws Of Life to free crash “victims” from a mangled car.
The event is being jointly sponsored by Stanwell Corporation, Bill Hull Car Centre and CROW-FM as a fundraiser for LifeFlight, and there’ll also be cheque presentations from Taabinga Rotary and Stanwell to hand over the proceeds of their own recent fundraising efforts.
The Family Fun Day has been put together by Cardell Turner to thank RACQ LifeFlight for saving his life.
Last September the Wondai resident was airlifted by RACQ LifeFlight Rescue after he broke 12 ribs, several vertebrae, punctured his lung and cracked his chest wall in an horrific dirt bike accident on a forest trail near Cherbourg.
Cardell feared he’d never see his wife Lois and young children Maddie and Rutland again as he lay struggling to breathe in Cherbourg Hospital.
But against all odds and with the care offered by RACQ LifeFlight Rescue, Cardell pulled through and 12 months later has returned to a fairly “normal” life.
Cardell said he will always be grateful to LifeFlight for saving his life.
The Family Fun Day, supported by a small army of sponsors and helpers, is his way of giving back, as well as giving other parents and their children a family-friendly day out at little to no cost.
* * *
The full Family Fun Day program:
- 9:00am: Day starts with CROW-FM 90.7 broadcasting live from 9:00am to noon, with “Corky” Corcoran
- 9:45am: 1st pig race – Auction starts for the Calcutta
- 10:10am: An address by an RACQ LifeFlight representative
- 10:20am: An address by a public identity yet to be confirmed
- 10:30am: Taabinga Rotary cheque presentation
- 10:40am: Stanwell Corporation cheque presentation for a previous Stanwell golf day held for LifeFlight
- 10:45am: 2nd pig race – Auction starts for the Calcutta
- 10:45am: Karla’s Carnival start free face painting
- 11:10am: Start of QFES rescue display (jaws of life being used to rescue crash victims)
- 11:15am: Dunk tank contestant #1: Cr Ros Heit
- 11:30am: Dunk tank contestant #2: Cr Danita Potter
- 11:45am: Dunk tank contestant #3: Peta Clarkson, Director Of Goodstart Early Learning
- 11:45am: 3rd pig race – Auction starts for the Calcutta
- 12:10pm: Two-hour performance by Nanango country singer Amber Goldsmith
- 12:15pm: Dunk tank contestant #4: Qld Police rep Constable Ethan Sorby
- 12:30pm: Dunk tank contestant #5: Andrew Carter, Deputy Principal of Taabinga State School
- 12:45pm: Dunk tank contestant #6: Ashley Roediger, Principal of Kingaroy State High School
- 12:45pm: 4th pig race – Auction starts for the Calcutta
- 1:00pm: Karla’s free face-painting finishes
- 1:15pm: Dunk tank contestant #7: Qld Police rep Constable Glen Hitch
- 1:30pm: Dunk tank contestant #8: Qld Police rep Constable Rhys Polinski
- 1:45pm: 5th pig race – Auction starts for the Calcutta
- 2:00pm: End of QFES rescue display
- 2:10pm: Two-hour performance by popular music duo MisFitz
- 2:15pm: Dunk Tank contestant #9: Qld Police rep Constable Jemma Grant
- 2:45pm: 6th and final pig race
- 3:30pm: Announcement of major raffle prizes
- 4:00pm: Finish of the event